Monday, August 29, 2011

ARROZ CALDO

I always associate arroz caldo/lugaw/pospas/congee with being sick. Every time I was sick as a child, this is what I was always fed. When I had a fever, arroz caldo was what i ate. When I had a cough and cold, arroz caldo was there again. When I had a bad tummy, arroz caldo would be present again. When I had my own child and family, arroz caldo was and still is a staple when they are sick. but more than just a meal that is easily digestible and warming to the stomach when one is ill, it has become comfort food, not just to me but to many of us.

I have cooked arroz caldo many, many times but each time is always different. I always have different toppings that I serve alongside the arroz caldo.

I have made arroz caldo twice this week, requested by the hubby. Of course, since he doesn't eat leftovers and he doesn't know how to eat chicken with bones without wasting the meat (I always use chicken fillets), both versions of the arroz caldo had to be different.

This one has century eggs and cilantro on top. And of course, crispy patis scented garlic and ginger!!!

For the Arroz caldo:

Rice, uncooked
Chicken fillets, cut in strips
Ginger, julienned
Garlic, chopped
Leeks, chopped
Olive oil
Chicken Bouillion cubes
Kasubha, crushed
Water
Cilantro
Century eggs, quartered

Saute the ginger, garlic and leeks in olive oil until fragrant and slightly caramelized.
Add the chicken strips until browned.
Add the rice and the kasubha and saute for a minute or so.
Add the water and the chicken cubes.
Cook until the rice is soft and the soup is thick. Adjust seasoning.

For the Patis Scented Crispy Garlic-Ginger :

Garlic, chopped
Ginger, chopped
Olive oil
Patis

Fry the Garlic and ginger in olive oil. When almost crispy, add the patis/fish sauce. When crispy, set aside and let it cool.


Put arroz caldo in a bowl. Top with cilantro, garlic-ginger and century egg. Guaranteed satisfaction!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment